Request Free Estimate
You don’t have to live in a farmhouse to appreciate the style of barn doors. Rustic, trendy, and space-saving, they’re the perfect combination of style and functionality!
And they’re not just for doors. Barn door window treatments are a great way to add farmhouse style and complete privacy when the panels are closed. This type of window treatment works best with windows that are taller than they are wide, such as double-hung, sliding, or casement windows.
Sliding door window covers are available for purchase online or in hardware stores, but they’re also relatively easy to make yourself! If you’re comfortable using a table saw and drill, creating a DIY barn door window treatment is a fun weekend project.
Keep reading to learn how to create your own!
Before gathering your materials, decide which window(s) you’ll make barn doors for. This will determine how many pieces of wood you’ll need and how long they should be. These instructions will create a sliding barn door window cover for one window.
When you have your materials, it’s time to get started!
Read all instructions here and on your barn door hardware kit before starting this project. You may need to make small adjustments based on your window’s size or location.
1. Set yourself up in an area with plenty of room, preferably outdoors to minimize cleanup and allow for proper ventilation of paint/stain fumes.
2. Lay your largest pieces of plywood on a flat surface and arrange your trim pieces around the edges. If you’ve opted to create the X in the middle, put them in place and ensure they are the right size. Trim pieces with your saw as needed.
3. Using your wood glue, glue the pieces into place. Reinforce them with your brad gun, placing a brad every 6 inches or so. Allow wood glue to dry according to manufacturer instructions.
4. Paint or stain your panels according to your taste. White is a classic option that matches nearly any decor, while a dark wood stain will really bring out the rustic design.
5. While the paint or stain is drying, install the 2 x 4 stud above your windows. This is so that the barn doors are set far enough away from the wall and won’t scrape it when opened and closed. Be sure to paint or stain it and drill the holes for your track before hanging.
6. Using your drill, install the track onto the stud according to manufacturer’s instructions.
7. When the paint or stain on your doors is dry, install the hardware from your hardware kit onto your doors.
8. Hang your doors on the track and admire your handiwork!
Complete your window transformation with energy-efficient vinyl replacement windows from Window World! Available in a variety of styles and colors, you’re sure to find the perfect fit for your home. Learn more and explore our selection when you schedule your free estimate!