Think of routine home maintenance as your annual physical: perhaps not the most fun, but necessary for your long-term health. By checking in on the elements of your home that help you maintain your day-to-day routine, you protect its longevity and prevent major issues down the line. Read on for our tips on performing yearly maintenance on your home and keeping it a safe space for years to come!
Start by Gathering Your Supplies
While it’s unlikely that any major maintenance will be required during your annual check of your home, come prepared with a few supplies to address any immediate concerns. These include:
- A flashlight
- Air filters for any vents that may have been overlooked previously
- A standard toolkit, which should have a screwdriver, hammer and other basic tools
- Caulk for any areas that need resealing
- Energy-efficient light bulbs
Steps for Routine Maintenance
With your supplies in order, you’re ready to start your walk-through. The steps below should help you perform the most comprehensive review of your home so that you can rest easy until next year’s maintenance!
- Open the vents throughout your home and look at the air filters inside. A clean filter is typically white and you can see the accordion pattern very clearly inside, while a dirty filter is a brown or gray hue with layers of dust and other contaminants on the accordion structure. The turnaround time for vents going from clean to dirty depends on factors like the climate you live in, if you have pets, etc.
- Examine your light fixtures for burned out or inefficient light bulbs and replace them with your energy-efficient bulbs.
- Check the locks and hinges of your windows and doors for any damage or needed tightening-up. Then, check the perimeter of each window for breaks or aging in the sealant, and repair with caulk.
- Clean out the lint in the dryer vent and duct to prevent any clogging and remove fire hazards.
- Walk around the exterior of your home and inspect the siding for inconsistencies. Inconsistencies to look out for are holes, warping from water damage, mold, insect nests, slats that are out-of-place, etc. These can vary in appearance depending on if you have wood or vinyl siding.
During your maintenance check, you may uncover some issues that require significant intervention. To avoid damaging your home (or yourself), we recommend contacting a professional for help.
Keep Your Home in Top Shape with Replacement Products from Window World
If your inspection of your home’s siding, doors, or windows uncovers a need for replacement, explore the premium products on offer at Window World of Muscle Shoals. Our professionals will help you select the exterior products that work best for your home and budget. Contact us today to get started!